Author Topic: Mexican Ultimatum Week 1  (Read 585 times)

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Mexican Ultimatum Week 1
« on: February 26, 2018, 05:08:39 PM »
A few of us have decided to challenge ourselves to write something everyday (aim for 10 minutes) for as many days in a row as we can. We'll post our word count/estimate here every day and any writing from that which we want to share. You are welcome to join us  :)

Don't miss a day or you'll have to start again!

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Mexican Ultimatum Week 1
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 05:25:09 PM »
Today I wrote four small pages, I can't be bothered to work out how many words that is but I'll probably write in the same book everyday so at least I'll be consistent   ;D

Here is a bit from one of the silly pieces I did (I blame the weird prompts):
Devin was a stand up comedian with a fortnightly slot at the local pub. He wanted to travel, to explore the Atlantic Ocean in search of love, to meet a coastal girl.
He sold all his belongings and bought the flashiest, zoomiest binoculars he could afford, then got a ticket for the next Titanic themed cruise. A few days in he realized he really hadn't thought that part through too well, as there weren't many damsels in distress floating stranded on icebergs, at least not so far.
He lay on one of the recliners on the balcony of a lower deck. Out of the corner of his eye he could see movement in the window. He whipped out his flashy, zoomy binoculars and watched intently as the most beautiful elbow he'd ever seen came into view. He was mesmerized. And then, it was gone.
All through the dinner buffet he sat, eating his four roast potatoes as slowly as humanly possible while he studied the buffet line for that elbow. The waitstaff topped up his water for the hundredth time. "How's your dinner going Sir?" they asked, pretending not to notice that he'd been there for hours. And that's when he saw it, the beautiful elbow, and another!

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 08:04:21 PM »
Hi! I wrote 4 and a half hand written pages today  :D One of the things I wrote was the beginnings of a 'logical' poem which I will post in a separate thread.

Agent24

• CEO of Kandel-McGherkin Biodiesel International
    • View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 09:52:05 PM »
Good evening! I too wrote some words today, following all manner of weird and wonderful prompts. The approximate count was something a little over 700, spread over the beginning of two stories, and a meaningfully inconclusive poem. I 'finished' part of one story tonight. I've put it in the feedback section for a bit of a laugh...
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

TSA1984

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2018, 12:10:30 AM »
Two paragrphs.   

But I swear they were good ones.

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
I did write today. One quite long paragraph in magenta felt pen.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2018, 10:41:34 PM »
Hehe!

After procrastinating all day and then buying a flower pot, I finally made myself write something while going for an evening walk. I started out trying to write another scene for a particular work, but ended up mostly just taking in random bits of scenery, trying to come up with striking ways to describe them, and finishing up with some inner thoughts and dialogue about my own life. The total was 323 words.

You can do it! Write one sentence right now and post it, no matter what!  :P
It does not matter how slow you go, as long as you don't stop :)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2018, 10:47:09 PM by Agent24 »
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2018, 09:52:12 AM »
I had another idea last night ...

Since Words and Biscuits (oh, and what happened to the biscuits? :P) seems to have some motivational qualities for us, I suggest possibly changing the format, taking half of the time (or maybe just half an hour) where we must force ourselves (or each other?) to work on one of our 'big' projects.

What do you think?

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2018, 11:54:26 AM »
Ooh nice idea! That is a very good question about the biscuits. I will do my best to have them reinstated.

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2018, 01:17:19 PM »
I like the idea of writing while walking!

I wrote today. I re-worked and finished what I think/hope/pray is the last poem of the collection I'm working on. I also wrote a bit more of the 'logical' poem which I have now posted. A total of 70ish new words, and quite a few old words deleted.

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2018, 01:46:43 PM »
Oh no! I have failed at day two  ::)  Well day one again for me today and I have written a 5 stanza poem and I actually like one of the stanzas so that's an improvement  :)

I like the idea of spending some of the time on a big project, it might make me actually start one!

Was also wondering where the biscuits went to  ;)  I have some of the wasabi peanuts I told you about Agent24 so at least we will have snacks.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2018, 09:59:33 PM »
I have just written an A4 page in very bad handwriting. Probably around 300 words. Probably pretty badly assembled words too. At least I managed to scrape something out. My brain is mush. Wasabi peanuts sound great right about now. Words and Wasabi has a good ring to it too :D I hope we will hear your poem next week!

I remember a quote, but forget who said it:
"You can edit a bad page, but you can't edit a blank page"
« Last Edit: February 28, 2018, 10:01:26 PM by Agent24 »

TSA1984

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:28:35 PM »
What a fantastic quote! 

After failing last night, I wrote basically an essay about what i wanted to write. rambling drunken long-form bullet points.

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2018, 02:15:03 PM »
Love the quote, now I just need to find the energy to actually edit stuff!

I have written a short poem so far today and am trying to extend upon it. I've been bargaining with myself by allowing a little more procrastination of writing in exchange for doing an alternative task that I had also been procrastinating  ;D

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2018, 08:43:59 PM »
This is all I wrote today:

I have been editing my lawn, as in deleting the upper parts of the grass. It is so long that I only got through one twentieth of it in 40 minutes, and then a cricket jumped out at me so I went inside.