Author Topic: Big projects  (Read 167 times)

TSA1984

• View Profile
Big projects
« on: February 27, 2018, 12:16:16 AM »
I am curious. We can all whip out short stories and poems. But does anyone have any big projects that they are working on? Because the Mexican ultimatum would be a great way to keep those going - hoping it s for me, anyway.

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Big projects
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2018, 12:11:18 PM »
Yes! I'm working on a book of poetry. It's quite close to being done but I haven't been able to bring myself to say - finished!
What are you working on TSA1984?

TSA1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
It's a novel. It's a love story between a queer rapper and an intersex teen. And it's generational, so it's about their parents and their lives too., because they're both first-generation kiwis.   

But I am barely a third of the way in, and a third of what I have will have to go.   

How do you write *a  book* of poetry? Don't you just write poetry, and then compile it into a book if the feeling takes you? Or does having a book in mind mean you have a theme to your poems?

Agent24

• CEO of Kandel-McGherkin Biodiesel International
    • View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2018, 09:33:59 AM »
But does anyone have any big projects that they are working on?

I have some, yes. Working on them? Well there's where the problem lies...  ::)

I have a tendency to get an idea, think "that would make a cool book", write 1 or 2 chapters, say "this is too hard" and then procrastinate it by starting the process all over again with another idea.

I'm also 'working' on compiling a bunch of poems into a book.
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Compiling a book of poetry is not as easy as it sounds. I have spent months agonising (OK, mostly procrastinating) over which ones to include, which order to put them to tell which sort of story, and then there is always the question of whether I need just one more poem. Procrastination is the direct result of perfectionism in this case. The good news is: I did some work on it this morning! ;D

I have never tried writing a novel, but once this poetry book is done, that's what I want to do. Have you guys come across any good resources for how to do it? I have a book called 'From Where You Dream' by Robert Olen Butler which seems like it has some good stuff in it.