Author Topic: What is your favourite writing instrument?  (Read 175 times)

Agent24

• CEO of Kandel-McGherkin Biodiesel International
    • View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
What is your favourite writing instrument?
« on: March 01, 2018, 09:23:22 PM »
Just a random thought, but what does everyone like writing on/with? Or maybe you dictate?

I prefer my computer most of the time because my handwriting is terrible and slow and gives me wrist pains.
I also quite like my cellphone and its Swype keyboard, which is almost as fast as typing. I use it for a notebook.

If I'm feeling particularly lazy or just want to ramble around on my thoughts, let them all tumble and sometimes fall into place, I might just record myself speaking. It's a great way to ignore everything else, close your eyes, relax, let your mouth wander. You'd be surprised at how free the ideas can flow when there's a direct line for them to come straight out from your head.

I've been thinking about getting an old electric typewriter. I like the idea of having the speed of a keyboard but without the complexity or internet-enabled distraction of a computer. Also there's no delete key, which might help prevent real-time editing and result in more output.
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What is your favourite writing instrument?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 02:06:23 PM »
Those are some interesting ideas, I might try the rambling one  :D

I usually like to write with pen and paper, for some reason writing on the computer feels more official to me. Maybe because I only ever bother to type up a piece of writing if I intend to edit it, which means I think it's somewhat good.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
Yes, give it a go! It's quite interesting. I wrote a pretty good (I think so anyway) poem that way, just with half-awake mutterings that I recorded one morning after a particularly vivid dream.

The downside is listening to it afterwards and having to rewind several times to catch everything and write it down.

You could try typing everything up anyway. You might find that the act of typing up an old piece of work suddenly gives you new inspiration to start improving and editing it ;)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 03:05:56 PM by Agent24 »
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 10:13:35 PM »
Good discussion. I have never tried recording myself, partly because the thought of listening to myself speak makes me cringe. Maybe if I did it regularly I would get used to it.

I have had a typewriter sitting under my desk for about 6 months, which someone gave to me. I have just pulled it out, but I can't figure out how to put the paper into it right now. I'm sure it can't be that hard. I like the idea of typing up something 'official' without being able to edit it as I go.

I pretty much always start with pen and paper usually, but I love the process of cleaning things up by typing them up.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 10:40:28 PM »
Good discussion. I have never tried recording myself, partly because the thought of listening to myself speak makes me cringe. Maybe if I did it regularly I would get used to it.

Just start a YouTube channel. After editing hours of video footage you'll become so full of yourself that you won't be able to get enough of your own voice!  ::) (or so the trolls would have you believe)