Author Topic: What puts you in the mood for writing?  (Read 254 times)

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
What puts you in the mood for writing?
« on: March 07, 2018, 09:07:52 PM »
I am interested, are there things that you do it your life that always, sometimes or at least occasionally put you in the mood for writing, or at least make it possible to sit down and put pen to page/fingers to keyboard?

Some things that make me feel inspired (at least some of the time) are:
Jumping into the sea or having a cold shower (today I got to have a swim in the sea in the pouring rain - double whammy)
Going for a walk
Messing around with paint, pastels or clay
Looking at art
Caffeine (I don't do this very often now, but it works well when I do. Just makes me feel crappy later)

What about you guys?

Agent24

• CEO of Kandel-McGherkin Biodiesel International
    • View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
Re: What puts you in the mood for writing?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 12:43:36 PM »
Recently I think it's only really been if I see or do something a bit different, and if I'm lucky then something may pop into my head, although I don't think anything I've written recently has been that great.

In any case, sitting at home looking at the same old things in the same old way certainly doesn't seem to inspire much.

With regards to the David Firth video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wARTupdJVW8) he said: "If I've got a scene that's being filmed in the woods, I'll go into the woods and try and write something from there."

I do find that that can help, to go and do or see the thing you want to write about, because then you can write directly from your experience as you're experiencing it. But that may be difficult, depending on what it is.
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

TSA1984

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 10:15:26 PM »
It's unfortunate. I find that a lot of things that used to work don't work any more. i mentioned alcohol  - coffee is another one. The mug is drunk before the file is opened. What still does work s setting myself up at a pub or a cafe. The people and the novelty of the environment, and the fact that I can forget about myself for a while helps.   

How about music? I hear it said a lot that lyrics can really distract and interfere - music helps, but it has to be instrumental. I sort of agree. Some lyrical music is fine, some isn't. Lyrics are poetry, and poetry can be very inspiring, but do you really want to hear it sung when you are creating your own?   

But then again, I get really in to character, and as a music-nerd, I imagine what kind of music they'd listen to. Listening to their music gets you into their headspace. I guess, what I am saying is that getting into a character's head inspires me to write.

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 07:58:07 PM »
Oh yes, music!!

For about a year I used always listen to the exact same piece of music when I was writing, and I found it immediately put me into 'writing brain'. I sort of forgot about it until now, but I might give it a try again.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 10:29:21 PM »
Faulty fluorescent lights, apparently.
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 11:28:42 AM »
I seem to need to be in a very specific level of emotion to write. It doesn't seem to matter what emotion, it just can't be too intense or I don't want to dwell in it, or I can't be feeling totally apathetic. I'm hoping that if we keep challenging ourselves to write everyday regardless of how we feel I can finally push through this.

Other than that, I find being out and about and seeing something like an interaction between people or a coincidence that makes me think of something differently are the best things to put me in a writing mood. And sometimes a random word-play will just appear in my head and that's my favourite  :)

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2018, 03:39:08 PM »
I think if we do keep going, the more we'll get used to it and the easier it will get, yes. Well, hopefully!

I had an idea for a kind of game; Try to spot random opportunities of time during the day when you have the chance to write something, and take it! Even 5 minutes is usable. I did this morning's writing when I was on the toilet. Haha.  :o