Author Topic: Dutch Determination – Week 3  (Read 416 times)

Agent24

• CEO of Kandel-McGherkin Biodiesel International
    • View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
Dutch Determination – Week 3
« on: March 13, 2018, 11:53:31 AM »
Now in it’s third week (and admittedly, slightly late), the continuation of our arbitrarily internationally-themed writing challenge endeavours to once more rouse your imagination from dark and distracted ruminations about the meaning of ducklings. Especially those with questionably textured sideburns. (You really had to be there)

Bring your pen, cursor, or typebar(!) to the blank page, and join us in a steadfast effort to maintain momentum on this journey of literary accomplishment, to hold back the tides of resistance, and do more than just tilting at windmills. ::)
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Dutch Determination – Week 3
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 04:38:00 PM »
Some serious procrastination going on for me today. Found an article that just happened to be relevant to procrastination while I was doing so but it still hasn't made me do anything, interesting read though "Part of me is dying to pull the ripcord: File – Save – Exit."

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 05:50:07 PM »
That's a good article. I also liked the one about how to walk across a car-park.

You might enjoy reading Steven Pressfield's The War of Art. Although it can be a bit intense, and he certainly has some strong opinions and views, I do believe the core message of his book is accurate and quite inspiring. I read it some time ago but not recently. I think I shall do so again...

I think I've been procrastinating today too, doing too much forum posting and having showers and other work-avoidant behaviour. I think I need perhaps to do the whole write a page of utter garbage, just to get all the junk out of my head.

Anyway. For the record, Yesterday I managed at least to elicit a short and confusing poem from my braincells, in amongst the ingestion of too much Russian chocolate....  ;)
"Our imagination spans that infinite moment, between the asterisk and the ampersand."

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 07:15:21 PM »
Yeah I quite like the Raptitude articles, I've been following for a while. I'll have to investigate this book you mention, though I have to say I'm a terrible reader lately, almost as bad as writing  ::)

I coaxed out 92 words of stream of consciousness poem thing today.

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:17:25 PM »
Well, I hadn't done any writing today until I sat down and was going to tell you all my wonderful excuses. And then I saw a purple post-it note so I decided to write on it and now it is covered in words, so I have succeeded.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 09:54:53 PM »
Yeah I quite like the Raptitude articles, I've been following for a while. I'll have to investigate this book you mention, though I have to say I'm a terrible reader lately, almost as bad as writing  ::)
Well, I'm still trying to finish that Tim Winton one, Eyrie... But I keep getting distracted by the Skulduggery Pleasant audiobooks. Still, it's better than nothing, I suppose. And I really like the way they're done too. I tried reading one, but it wasn't the same. The voice acting is just too much fun.  :)

But, reading is always a good inspiration in and of itself, isn't it? Here's a quick short story which may whet your appetite: http://intertext.com/magazine/v4n4/loneliness.html

I coaxed out 92 words of stream of consciousness poem thing today.

Well, I hadn't done any writing today until I sat down and was going to tell you all my wonderful excuses. And then I saw a purple post-it note so I decided to write on it and now it is covered in words, so I have succeeded.

Yaaay! :D

I just went for an evening jog which resulted in a bit of inspiration, and wrote half a page of scenery, shamelessly stolen from my own first-hand experience. An excerpt:

Katie walked on, under darkening clouds, towards the end of the walkway, where concrete terminated against chipseal. On the other side of the road, a simple, unpainted wooden fence stood illuminated in the dull orange glow of a nearby streetlamp. The field it bordered ran out into quickening shadows, away toward soot-black outlines of trees which raked the dark grey turbulence of a brooding, late evening sky.

Here's a (hopefully inspiring) quote from the aforementioned Pressfield:
RESISTANCE IS INSIDIOUS

Resistance will tell you anything to keep you from doing your work. It will perjure, fabricate, falsify; seduce, bully, cajole. Resistance is protean. It will assume any form, if that’s what it takes to deceive you. It will reason with you like a lawyer or jam a nine-millimeter in your face like a stickup man. Resistance has no conscience. It will pledge anything to get a deal, then double-cross you as soon as your back is turned. If you take Resistance at its word, you deserve everything you get. Resistance is always lying and always full of shit.

TSA1984

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:31:24 PM »
The last thing I was working on was those character profiles. They were a nice distraction, but they didn't really lead anywhere. characters are the one thing that I do not have trouble with. It's story that I go nowhere fast on... 

I'd been kinda obsessed with the lyrics to Teenage Wildlife by David Bowie. That's what I was sort of hinting at when I talked about how music can inspire you - and lyrics can either help or hinder. But Bowie is very opaque. There are beautiful lines and imagery in that song, which attracted me to it. But if you don't know what he's saying, I find it hard to find inspiration in that.   

Then Tangled Up in Blue by Bob Dylan came on today. That's one that I have been obsessed with since I was a teenager. And it hit me that the structure is sort of like a sonnet, and it tells a whole narrative. A story told though poetry is a story told through themes, and not so much through narrative beats. Story themes are something that I have almost as little trouble with as I do character.

So I looked into what a sonnet is (My mind made the connection, despite not really knowing). Apparently the stanzas follow a format of argument and answer, which reminds me of acts in a narrative.  So I wrote a poem as an experiment/draft for a story sonnet. But I want to push it - see how complex a story I can make.

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:13 PM »
I decided that eating chips would help me write today. Ate almost the entire bag before actually starting haha  ::) Minds are funny things.

Wrote a little today, highlight was:

I want to go to bed
Not crawl inside my head

Antelope

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2018, 08:58:27 PM »
You guys are doing so well. I'm very impressed.
I did not write very much today - just half a page or something in the morning when I first woke up. I did start making a stool though!

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2018, 10:57:11 AM »
Ugh, I'm not. After missing Sunday, my brain started saying things yesterday like "Well, you've already messed up this week basically, so why bother doing anything today? Have a donut instead*. Try again next week." Aaaaand I believed it. :(

*Hmm. Wonder where that came from? :P

Serena

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:34 PM »
Yaay for making stools! Send us a picture when it's done  :)

76 words for me today. Tried planning out the poem before starting which I have never done before, it was actually quite helpful since I wasn't feeling any 'flow' as such. I suspect most of the time I'll still just randomly start and see where it goes.

Off to Julius Caesar tonight at the pop-up globe.. Will have to read up a little beforehand so I know what's going on!

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2018, 12:41:43 AM »
Made myself write this:

Thorns of the Dilemma

Four little cacti, which, today,
I paid a penny, bright and new.
Yet worth it, I decided hence,
for joy hath not a price to say.

Tonight, as slumber called me slow,
I saw them sleeping in their pots.
Where dainty signs, one each, proclaims
a name: The Little Cactus Co.

Oh! Such hopeful name! - I sadly found,
for reasons I can not explain,
wrought sorrow, full, and sadness still,
and mortal fear throughout my mind.

Ironic, thus, how once I wished,
to leave this world of twisted pain:
Now this here night, I weep alone,
and wish my death shall ne'er come.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2018, 06:11:14 PM »
I had a good day, actually did some work in the morning for once.  :D

I went over the notes I did earlier, and thought more about things, wrote a page of back-story and stuff; some names and other ideas etc. Collated all my random scenes and added them to the main document. I guess it's going somewhere.

Agent24

• View Profile
    • Toenail & Pancreas
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 06:15:33 PM »
The last thing I was working on was those character profiles. They were a nice distraction, but they didn't really lead anywhere. characters are the one thing that I do not have trouble with. It's story that I go nowhere fast on...

They're certainly interesting. Some of the items seemed superfluous to my requirements, but a lot of it does make one ask some good questions about who exactly the character is. I think in my current approach, I'm sort of back-annotating them as I go along.

Josh

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
'Ode to Jump Jam'

Many a friday morning,
wasted to Jump Jam.

There never was any warning,
that we would be doing Jump Jam.

That stupid Ghetto Blaster,
The ghastly deliverer of Jump Jam.